UMass SPIRE is the student information system at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. It lets students sign up for classes, find housing, manage their university finances, and do other things.
At the top right of the SPIRE login page are links to other UMass Amherst services and tools, such as email, moodle, the UMass academic calendar, blackboard, peoplefinder, and the go.umass web app.
How to log into UMass spire
To check in,
- Navigate to spire.umass.edu
- Enter your NetID (IT Account user name)
- Type in your passphrase
- To log into SPIRE, click on Go.
- Choose IT Accounts > My IT Accounts from the SPIRE Menu to see information about your account.
If your NetID has expired, use your 8-digit SPIRE ID instead of your NetID to sign in to SPIRE. Most students’ NetIDs stay in the system for six months after they leave UMass.
View your academic requirements report
Under the heading “Academics” on your Student Center, you can find… on the left side of your Class Schedule. Click the single arrow that points down to see the options in the drop-down list. Click the double arrow button next to Academic Requirements. The page called My Academic Requirements comes up. Check out the Academic Requirements Report to learn more.
(Another way: Go to the My Academic Requirements page to see what you still need to do to graduate and what you’ve already done (Undergraduate Degree-Seeking Students including UWW Students).
On the Class Schedule page, you can see all of the classes you’ve added to your schedule, as well as the ones you’ve dropped or are on a waitlist for. On the Class Schedule page, you can search, add, drop, swap, and change classes.
Your main user name for all IT services is your NetID (IT Account user name). This is the same ID you use to get to campus email or the campus network. Your NetID is a case-sensitive ID based on your first and/or last name. It is not your Social Security Number or the 8-digit ID on your UCard.
Your NetID is the main user name for your IT Account and gives you access to the campus network, UMass SPIRE, email, and a lot more.
Forgot your NetID?
Applicants: We’ll send your NetID and a temporary password to your email. Under IT Accounts (on the right side of the UMass SPIRE Logon page), click Password & NetID Help.
Students, professors, and staff: Come to the IT Help Center (A109, LGRC Lowrise, M-F, 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m.) or the Learning Commons Technical Support Desk, which is open later (Lower level of the W.E.B. Du Bois Library), or call the IT Help Center. Remember your UCard!
Your NetID password
Your NetID password lets you get to your personal information, like your email, UMass SPIRE account, and Box files. Don’t tell anyone your NetID password so that your personal information stays safe.
Forgot your password?
- Under IT Accounts (on the right side of the SPIRE Logon page), click NetID & Password Help to get a reminder of your password or a new temporary password.
- Note: To get a temporary password, you need to have email forwarding set up on your email account or a non-UMass email address stored in SPIRE. (Sign in to UMass SPIRE and then go to SPIRE navigation > Personal Information > Email Addresses to add a non-UMass email address.)
- Bring a picture ID to the IT Help Center (A109 LGRC Lowrise, M-F, 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m.) or the Learning Commons Technical Support Desk (Lower level of the W.E.B. Du Bois Library), which is open later.
How to change your password
- Use your NetID and password to get into UMass SPIRE.
- Choose My SPIRE > Change My Password from the SPIRE menu. The date and time of the last time you changed your password will be shown in the Password last changed on field.
- Fill out the fields with your new password and click Change IT Password. Make sure that your password is strong enough to meet our requirements.
- To change the password for a Course Account or Subsidiary Account, go to IT Accounts > My IT Accounts, click the account name, and then follow the on-screen instructions.
View your SPIRE ID
- Choose IT Accounts > My IT Accounts from the SPIRE menu.
- Choose My Personal Info > Demographic Info from the SPIRE menu.
- Choose My SPIRE > Change My Password from the SPIRE menu.
- Students can choose My Personal Information > Work Contact Info from the SPIRE menu.