The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill’s email system is called HeelMail. You should set up your UNC username and email address once you’ve been accepted. Here, UNC will communicate critical admissions office updates and information regarding your financial aid package.
How to log into heelmail
Unc Heelmail access
- Navigate to heelmail.unc.edu.
- You will be taken to a system page for Microsoft Office 365.
- Enter your username…firstname.lastname@example.org
- Next, enter your password.
- In order to access your UNC email, click sign in next.
What is a PID?
All individuals with a relationship to the university, as determined by an official university department, are given a Person ID Number (PID), a unique identification number.
This number is intended to provide everyone with a personal identification number (PID) that is specific to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
The nine-digit number takes the place of all previously used card numbers on campus. For all university departments, the PID serves as the main record-keeping key and is required for all communications.
Set up your username
UNC’s username is ONYEN (Only Name You’ll Ever Need). The UNC campus’s standard login system, known as Onyen, gives users access to a variety of electronic services, including UNC email, sometimes known as heelmail. The phrase “Only Name You’ll Ever Need” might be thought of as an acronym even though it is a word.
For Onyens to authenticate to services on campus or as part of the UNC General Administration, Onyen Services sets and stores passwords.
- Click on “Create or Manage ONYEN” at onyen.unc.edu.
- Click “Create an ONYEN” to start.
- If you have a guest ID, you will be questioned. Choose “no.”
- Type in your UNC PID (Personal I.D.). You can search up your PID on the PID Office website or on your MyCarolina status page.
- You’ll get your ONYEN after providing this information.
Set up your email
- Use your ONYEN and password to access selfservice.unc.edu.
- To set up your UNC email account, choose an easy-to-remember alias, and update your password, click “Email Sign-Up” on the left-hand menu.
- Visit heelmail.unc.edu to check your email.
- We advise you to link your UNC email account to your phone’s inbox if you check your email on a smartphone. See the instruction below.
How to reset your heelmail password
How should I proceed if I forget my heelmail password? If you change your Onyen password, it will have an impact on a lot of services, including UNC Sakai and HeelMail.
- Click on Reset Lost or Forgotten Password when you are on the Onyen Services website. Type in the necessary Challenge Response information as well as any other necessary data.
- Passwords expire annually. Your password may have just expired if it was working lately but isn’t anymore. To replace your expired Onyen password with a new one, go to the Onyen Services website.
How set up unc email on your ios device
Here’s how to set up the mail app on your iOS smartphone to connect to your Office 365 account.
- Go to the Settings app on your iOS device to set up your device for your Office 365 account.
- Select Passwords & Accounts by scrolling down.
- Click Add Account and select Microsoft Exchange.
- Click Next after entering email@example.com as the email address.
- This will display a popup asking if you want to sign in automatically or manually configure. Choose Sign In.
- The federated login page will appear after you click this. Sign in by entering the Onyen password.
- The default action you have selected will cause 2-Step for Office 365 (MFA) to be activated. The Microsoft Authenticator app’s push notification screen is seen below.
- This prompt is currently displayed by iOS as a type of “Are you sure?” Then click Next.
- Any sync settings can be modified, and then click Save. It is essential to click Save in order for the account to be added.
How set up unc email on your ios device using the outlook app
Here’s how to set up the Outlook App on an iPhone or iPad running iOS.
- Get the Outlook App from the App Store and install it. You should see a Get Started if this is your first time installing this application.
- To submit an email, click the button and type firstname.lastname@example.org.
- When you are given a selection of email provider options under Add Email Account, choose Office 365.
- Enter email@example.com as the user name and onyen as the password on the Office 365 UNC-Chapel Hill login page.
- Click Sign in.
- The account will automatically configure and synchronise once you have logged in and been validated using 2-Step for Office.
- Select Maybe Later if you are asked to add another account.