CAESAR Northwestern is a way for Northwestern University to keep track of information about its students. CAESAR is used by students, teachers, advisors, parents, guardians, and staff to keep track of classes and grades, pay bills, look at financial aid, process admissions, and keep track of demographic information.
How to log into CAESAR Northwestern
In order to get to CAESAR Northwestern;
- Go to the website caesar.northwestern.edu.
- Click on the link that says “Log in to CAESAR using your NetID.”
- This should bring you to the page where you sign in.
- Type your NETID in.
- Type in your passphrase.
- To get to your dashboard, click “Log In.”
The homepage for CAESAR Northwestern is made up of tiles, and all of the parts and links can be found under the tiles that they belong to. On the homepage, you can also see at a glance if you have any holds and what and where your next class is. When you click on a tile, the items inside will show up in an easy-to-use side menu.
How to activate your CAESAR Northwestern account
NetIDs are given to people who are active in the University community and whose information is in CAESAR Northwestern. The school or the Admissions Office gives students their NetID Activation Code.
Your NetID is how Northwestern knows who you are online. Most NetIDs are made up of three letters (often ones that are part of your name) and three or four numbers. Your seven-digit student or employee number is not the same thing as your NetID.
Your NetID gives you access to all the tools and resources at Northwestern. Once your department’s NetID coordinator gives you an activation code, you can use it to activate your NetID by going to NUValidate.
- Once your program’s admissions office gives you your NetID and an activation code, go to northwestern.edu/login/NUValidate. If you don’t have your NetID and activation code, you should talk to the admissions office for your program.
- Enter your NetID in the field for “Username.” Enter the activation code in the field for “Password.” Then click “Login.”
- Write down how you answered four security questions. If you forget your password or let it expire by accident in the future, you’ll have to answer two of your security questions in order to reset it yourself.
- Make a password for your NetID that is unique to you.
- After you’ve set up your NetID and answered your security questions, you’ll be sent to a different website where you can set up your student email account.
How to reset your forgotten or expired password
Once a year, you have to change your NetID password. If you know your password and it is still in use, changing it is a simple process.
You’ll need to reset your NetID password if you can’t remember it or if you let it expire without changing it. Your easiest option is to reset it yourself, as long as you already know the answers to the security questions.
- Go to northwestern.edu/login to visit NUValidate.
- Enter your NetID, leave the password field blank, and click “Forgot Password?”
- Answer two of the security questions you set up.
- Follow the steps to change your password, and then click “Submit.”
How to register for classes at Caesar Northwestern
To add classes;
- Find the CAESAR login page and use your NetID and password to sign in. It shows your Student Homepage.
- To add a class to your schedule, click on the tile that says “Manage Classes.”
- Click on “Shopping Cart and Sign Up” in the menu on your left. If you can choose from more than one term, choose the right one. The page called Shopping Cart – Add Classes to Shopping Cart comes up.
- In the Class Nbr field, type a 5-digit class number and press Enter. OR, press the Search button to go to the Shopping Cart – Enter Search Criteria page, where you can search for and choose a course. If the class has lab or discussion sections that go along with the lecture, they will show up below the lecture. Note: You have to sign up for both the lecture and the discussion or lab sections. You can’t sign up separately for labs and discussion sections.
- Click Next after you’ve chosen the section(s) you want. The page called Shopping Cart – Choose classes to add – Enrollment Preferences shows up.
- Review the course you chose, enter a Permission Number if you need to, change the Grading basis if you want to, choose the number of available Units, and click Next. You have added this class to your shopping cart successfully.
- Repeat the steps above to add more classes to your Shopping Cart, or click the Enroll button to continue.
- Confirm the classes you want to take and click the button that says “Finish Enrolling.” When your transactions are done, the Shopping Cart–View Results page will show up. If you are accepted into a class, it will have a green checkmark next to it. If you are not accepted, it will have a red X next to it. If a class swap or addition doesn’t work, Errors will show up in the Message field.
- To add another class, click the “Add Another Class” button. To see and print a copy of your class schedule, click the “My Class Schedule” button. Make sure your schedule is right, and if you want to print a copy, click the link that says “Printer Friendly Page” in the bottom right corner. You can also click on the Manage Classes tile on your Homepage and then choose View My Classes from the menu on the left.
How to drop a class on Caesar Northwestern
- To drop a class from your schedule, go to the Student Center and click on the Enroll link. The page Add Classes—Select Term shows up.
- Click on the “drop” link. The page that says “Drop Classes—Select Term” comes up.
- Choose the word and click the Continue button. The page where you choose which classes to drop comes up.
- Choose the classes you want to drop and click Drop Selected Classes. The page Drop Classes–Confirm Your Choices shows up.
- Check the page to make sure you know which course(s) to drop. Press “Finish Dropping” to drop your class, or “Cancel” to leave without dropping it (es).
- If the action works, the word Success will show up in the Message field in CAESAR Northwestern. Errors will show up in the Message field if the drop doesn’t work. By clicking “My Class Schedule,” you can look at your new schedule.